v.
										 before you know where you are
										- 瞬息之间;转眼间;一下子
 very quickly or suddenly- We were whisked off in a taxi before we knew where we were.
 还没等我们弄清怎么回事,出租车就一阵风似地把我们带走了。
 
 be not to know
										- 无从知道,并不知道(做错了事)
 to have no way of realizing or being aware that you have done sth wrong- ‘I'm sorry, I called when you were in bed.’ ‘Don't worry─you weren't to know.’
 “对不起,你睡觉时打电话打扰你了。”“别在意——你不是故意的嘛。”
 
 for all you, I, they, etc. know
										- (强调不知道对自己无关紧要的事)不知道,说不定,亦未可知
 used to emphasize that you do not know sth and that it is not important to you- She could be dead for all I know.
 她说不定已经死了。
 
 God/goodness/Heaven knows
										- (强调不知道)谁知道,天晓得
 used to emphasize that you do not know sth- God knows what else they might find.
 谁知道他们还可能找到什么。
- ‘Where are they?’ ‘Goodness knows.’
 “他们在哪儿?”“天晓得。”
 
- (强调所言属实)老天作证,确实,的确
 used to emphasize the truth of what you are saying- She ought to pass the exam─goodness knows she's been working hard enough.
 她应该考合格——她可真够努力了。
 
 I don't know how, why, etc.…
										- (批评某人的行为)真想不到,真不知道
 used to criticize sb's behaviour- I don't know how you can say things like that.
 真想不到你怎么会说出这种话来。
 
 I know
										- (表示同意或同情)我理解,我有同感,我知道
 used to agree with sb or to show sympathy- ‘What a ridiculous situation!’ ‘I know.’
 “这境况真荒唐!”“的确是。”
 
- (引出新的想法或建议)我有个主意(或办法、建议)
 used to introduce a new idea or suggestion- I know, let's see what's on at the theatre.
 我有主意了,咱们看看剧院在上演什么。
 
 know sth as well as I do
										- (用以批评)其实完全明白,哪会不知道,知道得很清楚
 used to criticize sb by saying that they should realize or understand sth- You know as well as I do that you're being unreasonable.
 其实你完全明白你是在故意胡搅蛮缠。
 
 know sb/sth backwards
										- 对…了如指掌(或倒背如流);把…背得滚瓜烂熟
 to know sb/sth extremely well- She must know the play backwards by now.
 她现在对这个剧本肯定是倒背如流。
 
 know best
										- 最懂得,最知道,比谁都明白(该怎么做,等等)
 to know what should be done, etc. better than other people- The doctor told you to stay in bed, and she knows best.
 医生叫你卧床休息,她最清楚你该怎么做。
 
 know better (than that/than to do sth)
										- 明白事理(而不至于);不至于糊涂到
 to be sensible enough not to do sth- He knows better than to judge by appearances.
 他明白得很,绝不会凭表面现象来判断。
 
 know sb by sight
										- 与某人面熟
 to recognize sb without knowing them well
 
 know different/otherwise
										- 所知道的不是那么回事;所掌握的情况大不一样(或大相径庭)
 to have information or evidence that the opposite is true- He says he doesn't care about what the critics write, but I know different.
 他说他并不在乎批评家的评论,可我知道不是那么回事。
 
 know full well
										- 非常清楚;不可否认;不可忽视
 to be very aware of a fact and unable to deny or ignore it- He knew full well what she thought of it.
 他非常清楚她对此事的看法。
 
 know sb/sth inside out
										 know sb/sth like the back of your hand
										- 对…极为熟悉(或了如指掌)
 to be very familiar with sth- This is where I grew up. I know this area like the back of my hand.
 我在这儿长大的,我对这地方再熟悉不过了。
 
 know your own mind
										- 知道自己想做什么;有主见
 to have very firm ideas about what you want to do
 
 know your stuff
										- 精通业务;对工作很内行
 to know a lot about a particular subject or job
 
 know your way around
										- 熟悉周围情况(或课题等)
 to be familiar with a place, subject, etc.
 
 know what you're talking about
										- 亲身经历过;作经验之谈
 to have knowledge about sth from your own experience
 
 know which side your bread is buttered
										- 知道自己的利益所在
 to know where you can get an advantage for yourself
 
 let it be known/make it known that…
										- (尤指通过他人传达而)使人知晓,让人知道
 to make sure that people are informed about sth, especially by getting sb else to tell them- The President has let it be known that he does not intend to run for election again.
 总统已经公开表示他不打算再次参加竞选。
 
 let sb know
										- 让某人知道;告诉(或通知)某人
 to tell sb about sth- Let me know how I can help.
 我能帮什么忙,只管说。
 
 make yourself known to sb
										- 向某人作自我介绍
 to introduce yourself to sb- I made myself known to the hotel manager.
 我向旅馆老板作了自我介绍。
 
 not know any better
										- (因缺乏教养而)表现不好;因无人指教而举止不良
 to behave badly, usually because you have not been taught the correct way to behave
 
 not know your arse from your elbow
										- 愚蠢之至;屁都不懂
 to be very stupid or completely lacking in skill
 
 not know beans about sth
										- 完全不懂行;对…一窍不通
 to know nothing about a subject
 
 not know the first thing about sb/sth
										- 对…一无所知;对…一窍不通
 to know nothing at all about sb/sth
 
 not know sb from Adam
										- 根本不认识某人;与某人素不相识
 to not know at all who sb is
 
 not know what hit you
										- 因吃惊而不知所措;惊呆了
 to be so surprised by sth that you do not know how to react
 
 not know where to look
										- 尴尬得不知如何是好;狼狈不堪;感到很难堪
 to feel great embarrassment and not know how to react
 
 not know whether you're coming or going
										- (激动得)不知如何是好;糊里糊涂;不知所措
 to be so excited or confused that you cannot behave or think in a sensible way
 
 not know you are born
										- 身在福中不知福
 to have an easy life without realizing how easy it is- You people without kids don't know you're born.
 你们没孩子,真是身在福中不知福啊。
 
 there's no knowing
										- 难以预料;无从知道;没法说
 used to say that it is impossible to say what might happen- There's no knowing how he'll react.
 很难预料他会有什么样的反应。
 
 what does… know?
										- (某人)知道什么,懂什么
 used to say that sb knows nothing about the subject you are talking about- What does he know about football, anyway?
 不管怎么说,他懂什么足球?
 
 what do you know?
										- (表示惊奇)你看怪不怪,真没想到
 used to express surprise- Well, what do you know? Look who's here!
 唷,真想不到!你看谁来啦!
 
 you know
										- (说话人考虑接着说什么时用)
 used when you are thinking of what to say next- Well, you know, it's difficult to explain.
 唉,你知道,这很难解释。
 
- (表示对方知道或了解所言)你知道的
 used to show that what you are referring to is known or understood by the person you are speaking to- Guess who I've just seen? Maggie! You know─Jim's wife.
 你猜我刚才看见谁了,玛吉!你难道不知道——吉姆的妻子呀。
- You know that restaurant round the corner? It's closed down.
 拐角那家餐馆,你知道吧?已经倒闭了。
 
- (加强语气)你要知道
 used to emphasize sth that you are saying- I'm not stupid, you know.
 你要知道,我不是傻子。
 
 you know something/what?
										- (引出令人感兴趣或吃惊的看法、消息等)要我告诉你吗,你听说了吗
 used to introduce an interesting or surprising opinion, piece of news, etc.- You know something? I've never really enjoyed Christmas.
 要我告诉你吗?圣诞节我从未真正快乐过。
 
 you know who/what
										- (不说出名称)你知道是谁 / 什么
 used to refer to sb/sth without mentioning a name
 
 you never know
										- (尤指可能会发生好事)很难说,很难预料
 used to say that you can never be certain about what will happen in the future, especially when you are suggesting that sth good might happen
 
 have/know all the answers
										- (自以为)全懂,什么都精通
 to be confident that you know sth, especially when you actually do not- He thinks he knows all the answers.
 他自以为什么都知道。
 
 know/learn/find sth to your cost
										- 付出过代价(或吃了苦头)才知道
 to know sth because of sth unpleasant that has happened to you- He's a ruthless businessman, as I know to my cost.
 我吃了苦头后才知道他是个无情的商人。
 
 have seen/known better days
										- 穷困潦倒;昔盛今衰;曾辉煌过
 to be in poor condition- Our car has seen better days!
 我们的汽车曾辉煌一时!
 
 better the devil you know (than the devil you don't)
										- 熟悉的魔鬼比不熟悉的魔鬼好;不要嫌熟悉的环境不好,换个不熟悉的环境可能更糟
 used to say that it is easier and wiser to stay in a bad situation that you know and can deal with rather than change to a new situation which may be much worse
 
 as far as I know
										 as far as I can remember, see, tell, etc.
										- 就我所知;尽我所记得的;依我看
 used to say that you think you know, remember, understand, etc. sth but you cannot be completely sure, especially because you do not know all the facts- As far as we knew, there was no cause for concern.
 就我们所知,没有什么要担心的。
- As far as I can see, you've done nothing wrong.
 依我看,你没有做错任何事。
- She lived in Chicago, as far as I can remember.
 据我所记得的,她过去住在芝加哥。
 
 Lord knows…
										- (强调所说的话)众所周知,谁都知道
 used to emphasize what you are saying- Lord knows, I tried to teach her.
 谁都知道,我曾经努力想教她。
 
 old enough to know better
										- 已长大,该懂事了
 old enough to behave in a more sensible way than you actually did
 
 have/know sth off pat
										- 了如指掌;滚瓜烂熟
 to know sth perfectly so that you can repeat it at any time without having to think about it- He had all the answers off pat.
 所有的答案他都胸有成竹。
 
 show sb/know/learn the ropes
										- 向某人演示 / 知道 / 学会如何做某事
 to show sb/know/learn how a particular job should be done
 
 know/tell sb a thing or two (about sb/sth)
										- 了解 / 透露有用的(或有趣的、意外的)信息;有所了解 / 披露;见多识广
 to know/tell sb some useful, interesting or surprising information about sb/sth- She's been married five times, so she knows a thing or two about men!
 她结过五次婚,所以对男人有所了解。
 
 if (the) truth be known/told
										- (用于说出真相)说实话,说真的,老实说
 used to tell sb the true facts about a situation, especially when these are not known by other people
 
n.
										 in the know
										- 知情;熟悉内幕;掌握内情
 having more information about sth than most people- Somebody in the know told me he's going to resign.
 有知情者告诉我他要辞职了。