It was great to begin with but now it's difficult. 一开始非常好,但现在可就难了。
'You said you'd stay till tomorrow.' — 'I know, Bel, but I think I would rather go back.' “你说过你要呆到明天的。”——“我知道,贝尔,但我还是想回去。”
Place the saucepan over moderate heat until the cider is very hot but not boiling 把炖锅置于中火上加热,直到苹果酒变得很烫,但不要加热到沸腾。
He not only wants to be taken seriously as a musician, but as a poet too. 他不仅希望被人当成一个真正的音乐家,还希望被看成一个诗人。
They need to recruit more people into the prison service. But another point I'd like to make is that many prisons were built in the nineteenth century. 监狱需要招募更多的工作人员。但我想补充一点,很多监狱都是在19世纪建造的。
Please excuse me, but there is something I must say 不好意思,但有些话我必须说。
I'm sorry, but it's nothing to do with you 对不起,但是这跟你没关系。
Forgive my asking, but you're not very happy, are you? 恕我冒昧,你不太高兴,是吗?
'I don't think I should stay in this house' — 'But why?' “我觉得我不应该再呆在这所房子里。”——“可是为什么?”
'Somebody wants you on the telephone' — 'But no one knows I'm here!' “有人打电话找你。”——“可没有人知道我在这里啊!”
He didn't speak anything but Greek 他只会说希腊语。
The crew of the ship gave them nothing but bread to eat. 船上的工作人员除了面包什么也不给他们吃。
This is but one of the methods used to try and get alcoholics to give up drink. 这只是为让那些酗酒者戒酒所尝试的方法之一。
'B-b-b-b-but' I stuttered. — 'Never mind the buts,' she ranted “但——但——但是”,我结结巴巴地说道。——“别跟我讲那些‘但是’了。”她咆哮道。
He committed a crime, no ifs or buts about it. 他犯了罪,这是无可争辩的。
The pistol was positioned where I couldn't help but see it 手枪放在我抬眼就能看见的地方。
She could not but congratulate him. 她只能祝贺他。
But for you, they might have given us the slip. 要不是你,我们可能已经被他们甩掉了。
My husband spends hours in the bathroom, but then again so do I. 我丈夫常占用浴室好几个小时,不过我也是这样。
He was a fine young man, but then so had his father been 他年轻有为,不过他父亲也曾经是。
Sonia might not speak the English language well, but then who did? 索尼娅的英语也许说得不好,但谁又说得好呢?
I don't want to leave, but I can't go on. 我不想离开,但我继续不下去了。
I hate to admit it, but you were right. 我不得不承认,你是对的。
I'll need to talk with you, but there's no hurry 我得和你谈谈,但不着急。
Can you come at 10.30? I know it's inconvenient for you, but I must see you 你能10点半来吗?我知道你不方便,但是我必须见你。
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm hungry 我不知道你们怎么样,但我是饿了。
I don't know about you, but I've had just about enough of this. 我不知道你怎么想,但我已经受够了。
I'm sorry, but I must go now 很抱歉我得马上走了。
It's true that I seem to have forgotten you, but it only seems that way. 我看起来好像确实是把你忘记了,但那只是看起来而已。